Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Road I have Traveled

If the path you choose today determined the life you would have forever, would you still walk it?

It isn't an unreasonable question to ask. In fact, it is part of the many pointless truths I seek out of myself. Walking our path though, no matter at what speed, with what resolve, or intention, always leads us to segways, forks, pivots, choices.

So what if I have missed those segways that could lead me to achieve what I really hoped for, desired, and envisioned? The simple fact that I can sit here today and say that I am not happy with where my life is, is testament enough that this path is not what I wanted, so I clearly missed a turn somewhere! Darn it!  


Sooooo… I have this friend. I won’t give him a Mister name, because although I would more than love to cuddle, spoon, kiss, and consume this deliciously intelligent man, he isn’t on the same life path as I, and thus, not a viable Mister. So what sense in hope right?

You see, my friend, who we will call Butt Crumb for giggles, is an educator. His instinct, his gut, is leading him further and further away from here. He is a giver, and wants to teach others our Language. (now tell me you don’t just love him already! Haha)

We share a horoscope sign, and I can see SO many similarities in our personalities, that at times, it’s quite honestly, scary. Point is, I know his resolve. I know, that his heart is set on this path. He wants this, desires it, and is committed to making his dream a reality.

Courage.

I called it last night. I told him straight out that I envy that courage. The courage some people have to just get up, leave what they have, and start anew. I love change, if he knew how often I change jobs, he would understand where I likely satisfy this craving for change.

However, as we spoke, he mentioned the “Grass is Greener” syndrome when noting that at times, his friends envy his nomadic lifestyle of exploration and learning. This “Grass is Greener” topic has been one that I have touched upon many, many times in conversation with good friends. One that, quite honestly, I continue to find more and more troubling.

It is the premise of it. The premise, that no matter where we are in life, we will want more. That we will want something different because it is not what we currently have!

I personally call B.S. (I am trying to keep it PG-13) heehee

Seriously though? Married people, wish they were single. Single people wish they were married. Travelers wish they had a home. Those with steady homes, wish they could travel more. Really?

Friends, why must we choose?

So I will ask you again, if the path you chose today, determined the life you would have forever, would you still walk it?
Why can’t we attempt to have it all? Why should we limit the bounds by which we live our life to a categorical stereotype of what society thinks is appropriate?  

If you want to travel more, TRAVEL!

If you are married, look to all of you single friends, and remember how lonely you were BEFORE you got married.

Single people, your married friends wish they had enjoyed their single life more, instead of dwelling on who would come to sweep them away! Enjoy your singlehood while you still have it!

Because friends, we cannot continue to find dissatisfaction in our lives, based on the present. The life you choose today DOES NOT have to be the path you live forever.

The beauty of life, is that you really do have the opportunity to make of it what YOU want. So carpe diem the heck out of your days!

Go out today, and seize yourself a piece of your tomorrow, no matter what that looks like for you. And if you don’t know what that is just yet…. Well friends, join me, as I continue on this path of self discovery.

-Cheers~SLM






4 comments:

  1. Hey babe... Once again I am humbled by your amazing ability to put your words down on virtual paper - you have such insight for someone so young. You can say that you have lived through many life changing experiences and therefore can write about it but I've lived and continue to live a life full of trials, mistakes and tribulations and still can't do what you manage to do everytime you post your blog. I love your words and you! Alex :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doll! Thank you so much for always being so kind. I am glad you enjoyed the post, however, I am sure, you have far more wealth of knowledge to share than an amateur like me. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. ILY more than words can say! <3

      Delete
  2. It's so scary yet reassuring how similar we are in how we think and what we post. I refuse to be dissatisfied either. I wanted to get married, I wanted this, and I'm not going to complain about it. I work to integrate my husband into my life not my life around him (more so before we were married). Now it's about finding a balance. I think it's so easy to get caught up in relationships, especially new relationships that everything becomes about the relationship and the person - and that's not right...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Its so easy to let a relationship consume you especially initially, but the truth is, we have to be ourselves through and through and respect eachothers perspectives and wants. A person that wants a relationship with you would be a lovely addition to your life, not something that like you say, takes over your life. And yes, I have to admit its quite interesting how connected we are, I personally, love it ;) Thx doll for checking in on me-XOXO Claudia

      Delete