Friday, May 29, 2015

Cynicism and Hope

There are times, where I wonder to myself if I can ever become cynical about dating, and love.  I have friends who deem me “stupid” or “naïve” because I still believe in true love. You know, that ideal that you grow up with as a young girl? That hope, that someday, some man, with his charming smile, humor, and deep rich eyes, will make the butterflies swirl in your insides, and your feet light and flirty?
You know exactly what I’m talking about, that “AHHHHHHHHHHH he is sooooo Amazing” feeling!?
Well call me dumb, naïve, or even crazy and unrealistic, but this Single Latina Mama, believe it or not, still has hope.  

Perhaps it’s the fact that not enough time or dates have come and gone that I’m so bitter that the cynicism has set in.
Regardless of what you feel love should be or is, for me, Love is simply just that, Love.
I sometimes like to believe that if everyone thought the way I did, always choosing to see the beauty in people instead of what is wrong and flawed, our world would be a MUCH better place.
I know I’m getting sappy on you! If you need a shot of 5 hour Energy, I totally understand!!  
What I’m trying to say is, well gosh darn it, having hope doesn’t mean I’m dumb! It just means I believe when you have chosen to lose hope.  
Why be so damn cynical anyway?
Don’t you think that if you might have given somebody just a little more credit, or just a little more love they might have perhaps responded differently?
I mean just think about it, what if someone had been more loving to you? Or rather, what if they had given YOU more credit or appreciation? Would you have responded differently?
Cynicism isn’t about them, and their issues, its about you, and your perception of them.
I am rough around the edges, we all are, there is no mistaking that, but through the rough patches in life we face, like any coarse wood being sanded down against its own grain, we are slowly smoothing ourselves out!
–Cheers! ~SLM

No comments:

Post a Comment