Monday, June 18, 2012

One Tequila, Dos Tequila…Sober

This weekend was a myriad of things. Among them, it was giving, nurturing, warming, delicious, but  mostly sobering.
Yes this blog post is current! Its Monday, early AM and I feel like writing. So here I am, wanting to debrief with you, my friends and followers.  Because, well friends, I spent a magical weekend from Friday – Sunday with none other than my munchkin and my imperfectly perfect family.


Friday I spent it with my best Guy cousin and his wife… they are like a brother and sister, and as we lounged around their kitchen bar drinking glasses of Shiraz and Merlot, and munching on some delicious peach chutney, I couldn’t help but think how lucky I was. How lucky to be able to spend my Friday sharing laughs, memories, and anecdotes of our weeks past. I would catch myself permagrinning when I saw their interaction. Their love, that sometimes they don’t even see, was truly magical. I cheered to them and in my toast reminded them of how lucky they were to have what they have and to still be dedicated to each other. No matter what they have been through.
I had far more planned for Saturday than was feasibly possible. I was back to old SLM behavior of overbooking myself, and I knew I would disappoint some. I however made the decision of taking things in stride for the day and getting as much as I could done. I got to about 20% of what I had planned, but the evening ended with a birthday party for my cousin’s son. It was impromptu, she called me to invite me on Friday, but I couldn’t back out on one of my closest cousins. Last minute we started inviting the whole family and before we knew it, there was more beer and alcohol then we could fathom. We were joking, and laughing, just like good ol’ times. It was majestic.
At one point, my cousin and I had a heart to heart where all that was said was “I love you” but that was all that needed to be said. We both understood the paragraphs of words in those three simple words. We were grateful for having our family around. Grateful, for our children to be playing like we once did. And grateful that we were a family again… grateful.
By Sunday, Father’s Day was upon us and we were all mostly back together at my parents. There was tons of Mariscos (Seafood) like our family always knows best… and family and laughs. The newest member of our family stopped by for a visit, and my daughter held her 3 month old cousin in her arms for the first time.
These moments were nothing short of amazing. Our family was not whole, there were people missing, but the truth is, for these moments, the ones that wanted to be, and could be there… were. I was delighted in their company and felt so blessed to have them in my life. For with their company, I was sobered into remembering that family is everything, and I am so lucky to have mine. 

~Cheers- SLM

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time! As you said, family is everything, and moments like this will provide lasting memories for your "munchkin". LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed friend! Thanks for stopping by for a visit! :)

      Delete
  2. I usually kept away from (extended) family get togethers but things are changing and I enjoy them a lot more now. I think you're right about what it would mean for your little one to see everyone together and get to know everyone. You're a great mama xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend! It's hard to think of my munchkin without her cousins. She would be alone. No one likes being alone. Family can be loud, crazy, and dramatic... but thats the beauty of life. Thanks for reading love :)

      Delete