Friday, May 29, 2015

Let's Get Cooking!

Awwww man... do I have a story for you... 

My last installment to you, my amazing followers, was quite some time ago... and boy have I been busy! 

You see at the end of Summer 2014, I decided to audition for a show that I have been quite a fan of! well... more like my favorite show on air for the past 5 years... MASTER CHEF!!!

My co-admin for Instagramers San Diego Lauren, told me all about it and so I decided, why not? What do I have to lose? I have a deep-rooted passion for cooking, learning, and life... I can do this! 

I showed up to the casting call in Downtown San Diego, bright eyed and rocking typical latina curls.

I was told to check in and tell them about a specific email I had received, and BOOM! I got VIP'd (whatever that means). 

Within 7 minutes I was told I was part of the next group up and suddenly... that positive demeanor turned to nerves! OMG! Oh my god...  

HERE...WE... GO...

To audition, I had whipped up an amazing Three Cheese Tortellini in an Asiago Cream Sauce with Crimini Mushrooms and Pancetta. It's the dish my Dad asks for on birthdays and father's day... so I figured, I can't go wrong. 

I walked in to a large conference room and began my audition process... 

I can't share any more details because well... the audition process itself is confidential... but what you must know is... 

I DID IT! I made it on the show! 

I was scheduled to leave to Los Angeles in early January and I had NO IDEA if I could even do it or more importantly, manage it financially. 

So with the encouragement of my good friend Ilo, I set up a vague crowd-funding account. I only noted that I was given an amazing opportunity that has the potential to change munchkin and my life! Remarkably, donation after donation, I was reminded how truly blessed I am. Family, Friends, Co-Workers, and yes, even special blog followers donated helping me to raise over $3,000 dollars! 

NO I AM NOT KIDDING! People believe in me! They want me to go after my dreams, even if I couldn't share any of the details! 

I left to Los Angeles on a very early morning, leaving my daughter in tears. I cried myself to the train station and just kept repeating, no pain, no gain. No risk, No reward. 

My heart was broken. I had never spent more than 3 nights away from munchkin... can I even do this? 

I was walking away form my life, my daughter, my apartment, my job, EVERYTHING... all for this amazing opportunity. Was I being selfish? Was I wrong? What am I doing? 

Well... I made it. I did it. I got that apron.... and joined the biggest cooking competition in the Country! I beat out 40,000 + chefs who auditioned for the show and can wear that proudly no matter what... 

To this day, I can't wrap my head around how unbelievable this is. I am soooo glad to FINALLY be able to share why I was gone so long, what I was so busy with, and what my dream was! 

I had the opportunity to cook for Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, and new Chef Christina Tosi, three of thee most renowned chefs in this country. 

Guys... MIND BLOWN... seriously. 

I hope you will watch me battle it out in the Master Chef kitchen this upcoming Wednesday! The show airs on FOX primetime at 8:00pm ET/PT ... yes I said PRIME. TIME. 

Is this real life? Someone pinch me please! 

You can also watch on Hulu, as we are already three shows in! (Sorry late in the blogging game)... I have also created a new website for myself... click here to visit. 

One last thing... I need to extend a HUGE THANK YOU, to YOU, my followers who donated and who believed in me and continue to support this Single Latina Mama through all of my adventures. 

It is clear that there are oh so many more delicious adventures to come for this Single Latina Mama! 

Cheers~ SLM

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Claudia, best wishes in all your endevours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg how crazy is it that you ended up winning it all. I could not stop crying the whole show. You make us, tu gente, so proud you, for always staying true to yourself and your roots. I'm beyond happy for you Claudia. I wish you the best and can't wait to see what the future holds for you. (Can't wait for tht cookbook ;)

    ReplyDelete