Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Hardest Thanksgiving

Growing up, some of my Mexican friends would tell me about how they didn't celebrate Thanksgiving because it wasn't a Mexican holiday.

My mom grew up in the states being naturalized in her pre-teens and attending schools in National City, California where my aunts and family settled. For us, Thanksgiving was part of our traditions. A part of our assimilated ways. Some very American turkey was always at our table, but my Mom's very Mexican stuffing also make it to the table as well. I still can't forget my Tia Gloria's salsa and my Tio Cuate's famous Ham. I swear that ham's glaze was to die for!

Over the years, things have changed, the dynamic of the family has changed, and some people have come and gone. People have moved away, but what always stands when my Mom and me come to the table in prayer, we always prayed for all those near or far, close or forever gone. Always wishing them a blessed Holiday no matter where they are.

This year, on paper I had two huge opportunities come up that would mean I would not be here for Thanksgiving. I specifically say on paper because as per usual... things always look good on paper.

When I mentioned these opportunities my awesome Mother turned to me and said, "These are amazing opportunities you can't turn them down! Go! Do it! You don't know if you will have this opportunity again." She is right...as per usual.

It is the day before Thanksgiving at 4pm and in less than 24 hours I will be traveling to Mexico City for the IV Foro Mundial de la Gastronomia Mexicana... that pretty much translates to the Fourth WorldWide Forum on Mexican Gastronomy. It is the who's who of Mexican Cooking and products, and I am excited to be there. This will be my first visit to Mexico City and being thrilled is an understatement.

What I didn't mention before is that Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE Holiday. I prefer it over Christmas.

Why?

For me, Thanksgiving is an opportunity to share with everyone you love, your close friends, your family, your acquaintances, with God and even yourself, how Thankful you are for everything you have been given this year. Some years, are harder than others, but every Thanksgiving, we are reminded to be grateful and take note of each blessing we have been given throughout the year.

This is by far the Hardest Thanksgiving. I have so much to be thankful for. I have had one of the best years of my life. This last year has afforded me opportunities beyond my wildest dreams! I have met incredible people from all walks of life, in all kinds of businesses, and from all over the world. I have traveled, shown my daughter places I have only dreamed of, and visited paradises I only wished to see in pictures. I have paid off my debt, both school and personal, I have established a home, furnished, it, and somehow, still have my bedrock of die hard friends and family who never leave my side, keep me grounded, fight with me, cry with me, work with me, and continue to push me to say... you can fucken move mountains if you set your mind to it.

I am working so hard to continue to achieve long term success, to prove to my munchkin that nothing that is valuable will ever be given to you, you must bust your ass and work HARD for it.

On this Hardest Thanksgiving while I am flying to Mexico City, I want you to to remember all of the people who have to work on this day. Who have to spend time away from their families. Who want to be there but can't. Who wish they could hug their family member because they are serving over seas, or are stationed far from home. Who wear a badge or scrubs and have to work 12 hour days to make sure sick people get treated, our streets are safe, and any turkey fires get put out. I want you to hug your families tighter and remember that we are all SO blessed to have each other. To be alive.

May god bless you and your families on this Hardest Thanksgiving no matter where you are in the world.

Provecho Familia~ SLM


No comments:

Post a Comment